Tuesday 16 September 2008

Back in Beijing for the Paralympics

The flags look similar. But the posters have changed. Giant murals are now draped from mid-sized skyscrapers in Central Beijing, heralding a new generation of sporting heroes.

I smile as I spot a ping pong bat, then slide my gaze down the wall to the wheelchair. You could easily overlook it and it's hard to think of the elite athlete drawing my attention as disabled. It's a similar story in the papers and on the TV. The images are iconic, heroic, cool, and cutting edge - not the first words that you associate with public images of disabled people in China, the UK - or most of the world, to be honest.

These Games, I'm told, have transformed perceptions of Paralympians in China and the authorities have used the opportunity to invest in major practical improvements for them too. Every underground station, for instance, is now officially accessible. I have high hopes for London in 2012 but I realise there's a huge challenge too if we're to build on the achievements of Beijing.

No comments:

Post a Comment