Monday 25 August 2008

An amazing closing ceremony


What can I say?! The fireworks - I expected. Cunning choreography on massive scale would always be there. But enormous drums dangling a hundred feet above the most awesome percussion unit ever was pretty spectacular.

Then came the weird wheels and strange carnival floats that were both quaintly old fashioned and strikingly high tech. It was hard to know where to look - up or down, left or right, foreground or distance. Throughout I was terrified of missing a gem and if you missed the whole thing you really ought to make time to catch up.

I felt immense pride watching Britain's athletes taking their place. And then a heady cocktail of anticipation and mild anxiety spotting the red carpet which would take me to the centre of this pageant to receive the flag. By the standards of the overall ceremony my task was so humble, involving four swings of such stunning simplicity that I cannot claim any credit for not messing it up.

But it was nevertheless a moment of intense pride for me - pride in Team GB who had a fantabulous games, pride in the people behind their efforts, and greatest pride of all that London - my home - is now the official capital of world sport and the next Olympic and Paralympic Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment