Monday 25 August 2008

Last night at the Beijing Olympics

Glorious last night of athletics. Mesmerised by parabolic javelin throws and gravity defying high jumps. Texted with news of Olympic gold for the Harlesden boxer, James DeGale.

Sitting with David Beckham at the time, with Seb Coe on my right. Next to him - as evidence of the political unity on this one - Gordon Brown.

We did the same this morning at London House - as I hopped with my begging bowl from one business brunch to another.

The father of Chinese venture capitalism has just given me a tie. Is it a hint I ask, noting that I'm one of the only people around the table not wearing one.

Who knows? My mission here is to tempt them to bring their huge wedges of cash to London. Our city is the global capital of finance, but I've been constantly reminded over the last few days that the Chinese do capitalism extremely well.

They also do Olympics very well and as I psych myself up to take the flag at the closing ceremony tonight I'm intensely conscious of the challenge ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment