Tuesday 15 September 2009

Speeches at Columbia University with Mayor Bloomberg


Inspiring session with Michael Bloomberg, gently sparring over the relative strengths of our great cities. Have agreed we’re both high on a list of the two best cities in the world. Shamelessly boasted about London’s advantage in terms of universities, theatres, bookshops, Wi-Fi and a number of other fields. But both cities have a shared edge on the core qualities that lift us - energy, enterprise, creativity and a generosity of spirit. Packed hall at Columbia University where I used to sleep through lectures - not because they were tedious but because I was a baby when my mother was here as a student. Today's seminar proved very lively and spending time with Michael Bloomberg has sharpened my vision and resolve to re-establish London as the greatest city on earth when we welcome the world to our Olympics in 2012.

2 comments:

  1. The new tourism deal sounds fantastic for both cities although I expect when people have bad experiences with the small number of rowdy America tourists, you'll be the first person they'll hear from!

    While you are remembering your sleepy dates at Columbia I suspect West 23rd Street is still bouncing around your mind. I've read your biography by Andrew Gimson which is why I know this

    ReplyDelete